The Marriage Preparation Course was developed by Nicky and Sila Lee, co-authors of The Marriage Book and The Parenting Book. They have been married for over thirty years, have four children and are on the staff at Holy Trinity Brompton - the London church that started the Alpha course. They started The Marriage Preparation Course in 1985 and The Marriage Course in 1996, and the courses continue to spread with thousands of courses now running around the world.
They have spoken to thousands on the subject of marriage and are the co-authors of The Marriage Book which has sold over 150,000 copies since it was published in 2000. They run The Marriage Preparation Course, along with The Marriage Course, three times a year at Holy Trinity Brompton with around 160 couples on each course.
Over five sessions of the course you will discover practical tools to help you build the foundations for a lasting marriage. You will look at:
- The importance of commitment
- How to recognise and appreciate your differences
- The art of communication
- Resolving conflict
- The importance of spending time together and nurturing your friendship
- Making each other feel loved
- Developing a good sexual relationship
- The importance of talking about your goals, values and dreams
Who is it for?
- Are you engaged or seriously considering marriage?
- Do you want to have the best possible start to your marriage?
If you answered yes to these questions then The Marriage Preparation Course is for you.
The Marriage Preparation Course is for any engaged couple who wants to give their marriage the best possible start. It doesn't matter how long you have been engaged - some couples have set a wedding date, while others have not. Or if you have been living together and would like to explore the idea of getting married, or if one or both of you have been married before.
Whilst the course is based on Christian principles, it is designed for all couples with or without a church background. You do not need to be getting married in a church to come on the course.
What can I expect?
The course takes place over five evenings. A typical evening starts at 7pm and finishes by 9.45pm. Each session includes:
- Fantastic atmosphere that many say feels like a date night. Courses are run in all kinds of venues – homes, restaurants, cafes (after hours), community halls, churches, even a cruise ship - but wherever your local course is run you should find a great atmosphere and a friendly welcome.
- A meal - you will probably sit together with two other engaged couples and a married couple known as a ‘support couple’ (they will be your hosts for the course). You can chat to the others or just use the time to talk to each other. At no time on the course will you have to disclose anything personal to anyone else.
- Practical talks that are informative and fun, either given live or played on DVD. They include filmed clips of couples talking about their own experiences of marriage.
- Coffee and discussion time as a couple. You will be given opportunities to discuss the topics with your fiancé(e). Music is played so you can’t hear couples and they can’t hear you!
- No group work, so relax - you will not have to share anything about your relationship with anyone else.
- Homework - at the end of each session you are given some homework to do together. This will help you to build on what you have learnt and give you the opportunity to apply it to your relationship. Don't worry - it won't be marked! It isn't looked at by anyone else and is just for your own benefit.