The Parenting Children Course was developed by Nicky and Sila Lee, authors of The Marriage Book and The Parenting Book. They have been married for over thirty years, have four children and three grandchildren, and live in London. They started The Parenting Children Course in 1990, and it continues to spread with many courses now running around the world.
The Parenting Children Course is made up of five weekly sessions lasting 2¼ hours, including time for a meal. Each session may be split into two and run over ten shorter sessions lasting 1½ hours.
- Building strong foundations
- Meeting our children’s needs
- Setting boundaries
- Teaching healthy relationships
- Our long term aim
Who is it for?
- Are you a parent, step-parent or carer of one of more children aged o to 10 years?
- Are you expecting your first child?
- Would you like your family life to be the best it can be?
If you answered ‘yes’ to any of those questions, then this course is for you, whether you feel all is going well or you are facing challenges. This course is for every type of parenting situation, including parenting on your own, step-parenting and parenting as a couple. While The Parenting Children Course is based on Christian principles, it is designed for parents and carers with or without a Christian faith.
Whatever your situation, the practical tools you learn can help you to improve and strengthen your family life.
What can I expect?
Each session includes:
- A fantastic atmosphere that is welcoming, encouraging and fun. Courses are run in all kinds of venues- homes, restaurants, cafes (after hours), community halls, churches, nurseries, schools- but wherever your local course is run, you should find a great atmosphere and a friendly welcome.
- A delicious meal or snack - each session begins with something to eat and drink, giving you space to relax and chat to other parents.
- Practical talks that are informative and fun, either played on DVD or given live. They include filmed clips of parents and children sharing their own experiences, street interviews and advice from parenting experts.
- Small groups based on the age of your older child so that you can meet other parents and carers who have lots in common with you.
- Time to discuss the challenges you are facing and how to establish long term strategies for your own family. However, you will not be required to share anything about your family life that you would prefer not to. Every part of the course is optional, including contributing to the small group discussions.